E-Appliances for Dental Patients in Westchester
What is the E-Appliance?
The E-appliance is a patented double arch orthotic, developed by Dr. Eubanks from Plano, TX. Its unique design solves bite problems and their symptoms. It is easy to deliver, easy to use and – for the first time – allows us to stabilize the entire masticatory system.
Many people experience problems resulting from improper positioning of the tempromandibular joint, bite problems and associated musculature. The excessive bruxing and clenching this causes may lead to excessive wear, loose teeth, rotation or migration of teeth, cracked or broken teeth, headaches, pain or tenderness of the joint and associated musculature, popping or clicking of the joint, deterioration of the joint, or other problems. As dental technology advances and people demand more effective treatment options and more complex cosmetic procedures, reducing or eliminating such problems becomes increasingly important.
Other oral appliances cover a single arch to prevent teeth from grinding against one another during sleep. Although such oral appliances can reduce certain symptoms of grinding, they cannot maintain their effectiveness over a long period of time, due to their inability to stabilize the opposing teeth. Furthermore, natural physiological triggers (interferences in the appliance) can continue to cause deterioration of the joint despite use of such oral appliances.
Even if an appliance is constructed and adjusted so that the opposing teeth contact the appliance at the same time – a difficult and time-consuming process – the positions of the opposing teeth may continue to shift, which necessitates continued adjustment of the oral appliance. If the appliance is not continually adjusted, the appliance – with interferences – perpetuates additional instability and deterioration will occur. These and other deficiencies have made previous oral appliances inadequate for the needs of our patients.
The E-appliance can reduce or eliminate problems and disadvantages associated with previous oral appliances. The two arches contact one another using a single anterior bearing point on a flat plane, which allows the user’s muscles and anatomy to move the joint into its proper natural position.
Because the E-appliance ensures that the joint is in its proper natural position and eliminates proprioceptive input to the muscles, bite force is reduced, and masticatory system harmony is established.
Who needs an E-appliance? What problems does it solve?
- Those who grind and clench their teeth – the E-appliance will eliminate or greatly reduce clenching or grinding. Even in those who still brux, the damage being done to the teeth will stop.
- Those with headaches or facial pain – the E-appliance can significantly reduce or eliminate the pain by allowing the patient’s muscles to relax. It also allows the patient’s own anatomy and muscles to place the joint in the most natural position while reducing muscle activity.
- Those who have had cosmetic or restorative dentistry – the E-appliance will protect any restorative or cosmetic dentistry and the natural dentition. The E-appliance creates longevity for restorations and prolongs the life of natural teeth.
- Those who want to keep their teeth properly aligned – the E-appliance will hold both upper and lower teeth in their present position and prevent orthodontic relapse.
- Those who are preparing for restorative work – the E-appliance helps create a stable joint position and muscle coordination, allowing you to balance a patient’s bite with confidence.
- Those whose joints click or pop – the E-appliance reduces the forces in the joint by reducing muscle activity and stops the progressive breakdown of the joint.
- Those whose symptoms make a diagnosis difficult – the E-appliance is an excellent diagnostic tool that allows you to distinguish between muscle problems and internal derangements of the joint. Using our protocol the E-appliance will identify those patients you should not treat.
- Those who have cracks, fracture lines or weakened teeth – the E-appliance protects existing tooth structure and prevents further damage.
- Those who don’t want or can’t afford to have their bite balanced or have restorative dentistry done – the E-appliance will help patients get in their “adaptive zone,” giving their teeth and joints time to rest and repair while they sleep. For most people, this – combined with blue dot therapy – will keep them in their adaptive zone so continued damage is minimized or eliminated.